Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No puedo hablar espanol

After encountering Spanish-only speaking patients on two separate occasions this month, I have decided that I would like to relearn Spanish and become as fluent as possible (even at my best, both my speaking and listening comprehension were pretty pathetic). I have started to read through my old Spanish text book. Although that will probably help me with grammar for reading and writing purposes, it still renders me useless in the world of verbal communication...which is precisely what I need to be able to do with my patients.





How can I improve? I've thought about getting Rosetta Stone. It's a shitload of money, but I figure it's worth it if it works. I don't want to shell out the dinero if it's not going to help me. What would you all recommend? Has anyone tried Rosetta Stone?

4 comments:

BurnPTCruisers said...

hey!
i'd recommend, on top of your reading the book, if you have the time you could seek out organizations that offer ESL (English as a second language) programs for free to volunteer for. in teaching the people i think that you could build up your abilities. i do know that when i was sorting cherries in the Yakima valley, that i was able to improve my Spanish abilities. Just a suggestion.
abraços,
burnptcruisers

me said...

I'm attempting to (re)learn french right now...and I don't know how I'm going to become fluent. BUT i have found these helpful podcasts for free. Check on iTunes for Spanish for Beginners podcasts...maybe skip a head a few lessons...but it might help. I find the audio part of it helpful though.

BurnPTCruisers said...

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that by volunteering you'd be not only accomplishing your goal of being able to speak but building your résumé to impress your current/future employers! :)

DMD said...

Rosetta Stone seems kind of like a gym membership to me... even though the tools may be really advanced and fancy, it still takes a lot of good ol' fashioned hard work. Maybe Rosetta Stone would make it a little easier or faster, but I think what really matters at the end of the day would be the committment you can make to it. Just my opinion, but I bet you could find similar learning tools/books for a lot cheaper than Rosetta.