Thursday, October 9, 2008

A little levity, please...

I saw B-squared recently, but due to a rousing round of "The Farmer's Game," neglected to get a good explanation of the current financial buggery our country seems to be undergoing. I guess that will have to wait until next time (if we make it that long). But while I check CNN.com obsessively during class, I am always amused by the stock photos they use to describe the meltdown. They particularly enjoy to capture the angst of the poor brokers, sitting on the floor of the NYSE with their heads in their hands, amidst the litter of the tickertapes and whatever the hell else it is they throw around down there. Fortunately, somebody funnier than me has put together a collection of these sad brokers and, since this is the Internet, has added witty captions (image 15 is my favorite). Click any of the pictures to start the slideshow. Bonus: I also just discovered an entire website devoted to this emerging fad.

And to burnPTCruisers: I'm not trying to deviate from the desired format for this blog. I've got another bigger post in the planning states, but this blog has been quiet for a while so I thought I'd try to liven it up a bit :)

7 comments:

me said...

I was on my way to posting on this site and asking Bsquared if he could provide a little of his input on what's going on. But I assume that at this moment, he's tying the rope from the beam in his ceiling as we speak.
I also must admit that it JUST NOW hit me that I'm coming back to Seattle in a week...and will be trying to find a job...how the hell am I going to find a job?!

DMD said...

Natty: come home to Seattle soon, you will. Hang out we must. Call me you should.

BurnPTCruisers said...

good post, not off-topic! no worries. i'll be back in a few days and we can probably shoot the shit over some beers and see where we're headed with the current situation. i'm curious as well into bsquared's perspective.
abraços,

BurnPTCruisers said...

loved the links by the way. check out this blog by fellow lander 6er, quality stuff http://bodhisol.blogspot.com/

MissConduct said...

At least in the world of the Farming Game, we can pretend we live in a more simple place where we don't need no stinkin' stock market! All we need is the supple earth below our feet to grow acres of hay...and grain...and fruit...and we can be assured that everything will be OKAY in the gentle sound of 40 pregnant cows mooing in the distance!

DMD said...

If I had my way, those pregnant cows would have mooed their last moo. Stupid vegetarian farmers...

Bodhisol said...

hello all, glad to see the wonderful collaboration of thoughts here. re: this great post, thought this new blog was appropro too:

The Brokers With Hands On Their Faces Blog

http://brokershandsontheirfacesblog.tumblr.com/